ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE, 2022-23 WILL BE 4 IN-PERSON SESSIONS.
We are inviting your institution to the thirty-seventh annual Academic Management Institute (AMI) in higher education this fall. You are eligible to recommend up to four colleagues from your campus to participate in this important leadership program. AMI is a leadership program tailored to women's leadership; however, the criteria, qualifications and participation are not based on gender identity, but on a willingness to commit to advancing women's leadership. We suggest you choose candidates who show potential to assume or advance their leadership positions at your institution and who can commit to attending each session. Each session this year will be designed to prepare participants to navigate higher education during increasing uncertainty in higher education.
AMI 2022-2023 will be in-person featuring presentations and workshops delivered by higher education leaders and subject experts from Colorado and Wyoming. The year-long institute will also include the option to attend the AMI Reunion in June of 2023. AMI sessions include breakouts for in-depth discussions as well as unparalleled networking opportunities. Topics for this year’s institute include leading in ever-changing higher education, developing effective leadership and management skills, engaging issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and enhancing campus-wide strategic planning. In addition, each participant will apply their knowledge by completing a project at their home institution.
The fee of $1500 per person covers six days of programs, including overnight accommodation in Vail for our initial two-day session, along with an additional day of training and development at the optional reunion. This high-quality professional development opportunity allows your campus to invest in its future.
If you are responsible for nominating institute attendees, please send the name, title, and contact information for each candidate from your school to Lisa Kinzel at email@example.com by September 1, 2022. An invoice will be mailed to your office after you send your nominations.
If you cannot make the September 1, 2022 deadline or have questions about registration, sessions, or fees, please contact this year's Institute director, Colleen Schaffner at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to having your campus represented this fall and appreciate your continued support of women leaders in higher education throughout Colorado and Wyoming.
Schedule for 2022-23
Seminar One - Vail, Colorado
October 13-14, 2021: Leading in ever-changing higher education
- Dr. Cynthia N. Armendarez, COSI Senior Director, Colorado Department of Higher Education
- Dr. Sandra Caldwell, Executive Director, Wyoming Community College Commission
- Ms. Michelle Darveau, Strengths Inventory Facilitator
- Dr. Lia Franklin, Board Chair, Colorado-Wyoming Network of Women Leaders
- Dr. Colleen M. Schaffner, Director Academic Management Institute
Seminar Two - University of Denver
November 11, 2021: Developing your Leadership Strengths
- Ms. Michele Darveau, Strengths Inventory Facilitator
- Dr. Angie Paccione, Executive Director of Colorado Department of Education
- Ms. Carissa Watts, Assistant Director of Graduate Studies & Admissions, Adams State University
Seminar Three - Red Rocks Community College
January 20, 2022: Campus Culture: Enhancing DEI
- Dr. Cori Wong, Positive Philosophy Consulting
- Ms. Jennifer Woegens, Director of Elevate, Arapahoe Community College
Seminar Four - University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
March 3-4, 2022: Future of higher education
- Dr. Kim Kuster Dale, President, Western Wyoming Community College
- Presidential Panel (to be announced)
PRIOR INSTITUTE, 2019-20
OCTOBER 17-18, 2019 - VAIL
Session Themes: Insights on Higher Education Governance & Participant Skills Assessment
This introductory 2-day session at the Antlers Hotel & Conference Center included on the agenda:
- Inta Morris, Colorado Department of Higher Education
- Michelle Darveau, Colorado School of Mines
- Dr. Kris Birnard, Front Range Community College / AMI President
- Lia Franklin, Colorado School of Mines, AMI Board Member
NOVEMBER 15, 2019 - CU-Anschutz
Session Themes: Understanding Institutional Culture & Leadership
A 1-day session hosted by CU-Anschutz:
- Jennifer Schneider, Colorado State University
- Dr. Linda Lujan, Lamar Community College
- Dr. Emily Monago, University of Wyoming
- Dr. Shanta Zimmer, CU-Anschutz, School of Medicine
JANUARY 24, 2020 - Arapahoe Community College
Session Theme: Leadership in Action
A 1-day session hosted by Arapahoe Community College:
- Dr. Diane Doyle, Arapahoe Community College
- Dr. Corinne Lengsfeld, University of Denver
- Dr. Rebecca Woulfe, Arapahoe Community College
MARCH 5-6, 2020 - CSU-Pueblo
Session Theme: New Directions for Higher Education
The final 2-day session will include participant presentations and panel conversations about future trends in higher education:
- Linda Lujan, Lamar Community College President
- Cheryl Lovell, Adams State University, President
- Chrissy Holiday, CSU-Pueblo Vice President for Enrollment Management, Communications, and Student Affairs
AMI Participant 2018-19 Projects
A HIGHLIGHT OF SELECT PROJECTS
Each year, AMI participants select a project to pursue over the year that will contribute to their growth as leaders in higher education or to their institution, or both. In years past, AMI has encouraged participants to conduct interviews with key leaders on their campus to facilitate their career advancement. In recent years, AMI has broadened the project to include the diverse ways that women leaders may wish to contribute to their colleges. A sampling of the 2018-19 cohort's projects include:
Dr. Rose Beane
Lisa & Colleen
Community College of Denver
Colorado Northern CC
Red Rocks Community College
Colorado State University-Ft. Collins
Laramie Community College
Arapahoe Community College
Front Range Community College
Colorado School of Mines
"Career/Transfer Center Playbook"
"Enhancing Professional Development"
"Transforming the Workplace"
"HR/CVMBS: Working Together"
"Veteran Services Project"
"AMI Testimonials & Networking"